This breakfast casserole from Wilmington’s one of the oldest bed and breakfast inns, The Verandas, is deceptively simple. With its elegant presentation, Dowless Casserole will delete your breakfast guests. It is perfect for Easter brunch, or a special Mothers Day breakfast.
Tag: easy recipes
This tea bread – dessert loaf, breakfast bread – is the most delightful banana bread we’ve ever had. So moist it’s truly a combination of banana bread and bread pudding.
The first day of 60 degree temperatures in Wilmington, and we’re are thinking about soup and sandwiches. Specifically tomato basil soup. Nothing is more satisfying to both cook and to eat on a lazy weekend Sunday than a lovely, creamy soup like this super easy …
Susan Jalbert, owner of Chow Bella Cooks, was gracious in sharing her signature Suga di Compagna, a red sauce – or gravy – to be served over pasta. Susan learned the base recipe in Italy, and tweaked it to perfection. Simple to prepare, it will …
The pecan cheesecake pie is a wonderful combination of two favorite desserts: pecan pie and cheesecake. If traditional pecan pie is on the too-sweet side for your taste in desserts, this is a super option because the cheesecake layer moderates the sticky sweetness you would expect from the pecan pie topping. Serve with whipped cream, and you’ve got a very special dessert for the holidays.
Simple to make, there are four quick steps.
- Toast 2 cups of pecan pieces in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Watch to make sure that you don’t over cook them.
- Prepare a 10″ pie crust. Place in a pie plate, and make a nice high, pinched edge on your crust.
- Cream cheese layer: beat 8 oz softened cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well combined. Pour into the pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Pecan pie layer: Beat 2 eggs and 1/2 cup sugar until combined. Add 1/2 cup light corn syrup, 3 tbsp melted butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whisk until blended. Lay the toasted pecans evenly over the baked cream cheese layer. Gently pour the sugar mixture over the pecans. There is a lot of liquid, which is why you need to make a sturdy high edge on your pie crust! Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees. The pie should be set in the center.
- Cool. Serve the pecan cheesecake pie room temperature or cold.