Years ago, I spent a summer as an au pair for a lovely French family at their summer home in Cahor. Summer chateau, that is. The extended family gathered there, and grandmother made a simple, country supper every evening. Each meal was built around a …
Tag: vegan recipes
Adzuki beans are small red beans that originated in China. They are a staple of the macrobiotic diet, and they are a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese and B vitamins. Adzuki beans have been called the “weight loss bean,” since they …
If you want to have something a little sweet and a little savory, this is the perfect snack or dessert! The combination of the sweetness of the chocolate, the savoriness of the pumpkin seeds, and the sea salt is just plain divine. And hey – it has pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate, so it’s health food, right? (At least that’s what I tell myself.)
- 2 10 oz. bags vegan chocolate chips
- about 1 t sea salt + more for topping
- 2 C raw pumpkin seeds
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Mix in salt and pumpkin seeds.
- Pour onto a cookie sheet lined with freezer or wax paper. Spread in a thin layer.
- Sprinkle the top with sea salt and put in the fridge or freezer to chill.
- Break into pieces once it has hardened – you choose the size!
- Enjoy! Store in a freezer-safe container in the fridge or freezer to keep fresh.
If I’d known making pasta could be this easy – without all the draining and straining mess – I’d have been making pasta this way for years. I don’t know if I’ll make it the “old way” again…this is easy, quick, and delish! And it makes a TON of food.
- 1 12 oz. bag pasta
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 C chopped, firmly packed fresh basil
- 2 C fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 t salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- Place all ingredients except nutritional yeast in a large pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until pasta is slightly al dente (check the directions on the bag of pasta), stirring every few minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir just before serving.
- Top with nutritional yeast, if desired.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional all-star. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. These wedges make a great side dish or a perfect mid-afternoon snack. Dip them in ketchup, or curried plant-based mayonnaise, or barbecue sauce…all good! Ingredients: 2 large sweet potatoes scant 1/4 …